“Commissioning is a quality-oriented process for achieving, verifying, and documenting that the performance of facilities, systems and assemblies meet defined objectives and criteria” – ASHRAE Guidelines 0
A similar definition related to fire and life safety systems can be found in NFPA Standard 3.
At FSC, we combine our knowledge and field expertise in fire protection, life safety and MEP systems design to provide the owner with a building that is safe, operates efficiently, and meets all design requirements.
Since commissioning is a collaborative process for planning, delivery, verification and managing risks to critical functions, FSC recommends starting the process early in the design phase to allow our commissioning agent to become familiar with the requirements and programming documents. The agent will continue to be involved during the construction and occupancy phases with inspections, testing, operator training, and record documentation.
Additionally, FSC provides retro-commissioning and re-commissioning services. Retro-commissioning assists owners in identifying and or restoring existing equipment to its proper operational state, which in turn, could reduce energy costs, increase equipment life, and improve in-door air quality.
AS A PART OF THE COMMISSIONING PROCESS, FSC CAN PROVIDE ALL OR SOME OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Document owner’s project requirements
- Review design team’s basis of design
- Prepare a commissioning plan
- Review the A/E contract documents
- Prepare commissioning specifications (included in the contract documents)
- Review contractor’s submittals and other documents related to the systems being commissioned
- Conduct regular construction coordination meetings
- Direct, observe and document functional performance tests of each system being commissioned
- Generate a corrective action report
- Review O&M documentation
- Prepare a final commissioning report
- Provide operator systems training
- Provide post occupancy services
- Develop normal and emergency procedures
- Develop a maintenance program
SOME OF THE TYPICAL SYSTEMS THAT WE COMMISSION ARE:
- stationary battery plants
- standby engine generator plants
- fire alarm
- fire sprinkler
- HVAC systems
- central plants
- chilled water
- heating water
- lightning protection
- Electrical SCADA/EPMS